Section 8 Rentals

Section 8 Apartments

Section 8 Condos

Section 8 Duplexes

Section 8 Houses

Section 8 Townhouses

Section 8 is a low-income housing assistance program offered by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. It is also known as the "Housing Choice Voucher Program".

To only search for Section 8 properties use the state links to search for Section 8 houses for rent and only those rentals that have been marked by their landlord as accepting "Section 8" will be displayed.

Search from a variety of different Section 8 property types and sizes for rent including:
• Section 8 Apartments
• Section 8 Condos
• Section 8 Duplexes
• Section 8 Houses
• Section 8 Mobile Homes
• Section 8 Townhouses

Below are some frequently asked questions to help you through the process of figuring out if you qualify and how to apply for Section 8 vouchers. specializes in connecting renters looking for Section 8 apartments, Section 8 houses, and all types of properties. View our large selection to find the best property for you and your loved ones.

Section 8 Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How do I qualify for Section 8 (Housing Choice Vouchers)? Qualifying for section 8 housing vouchers is determined by the PHA (Public Housing Authority). The PHA takes into account your total annual gross income and family size. Qualifying is restricted to U.S. citizens and certain non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.

Your family's income may not exceed 50 percent of the median income for the county or city in which you live. The PHA serving your area will provide you with the income limits for your area and family size.

The PHA will verify your family income, assets, and family composition with local agencies, your employer, and bank. They will use the information to determine program eligibility and the amount of monthly payment.

If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the PHA will contact you and issue to you a housing voucher.

2. How to apply for Section 8 application?
To apply for Section 8, you will need to complete a Section 8 application form at your local Public Housing Agency (PHA) office. After you have contacted your local PHA office, they will collect information on your families total household income to determine if you are eligible for the program. They use total household income on family members who are 18 and over. To determine your families total household income, these nine items will be used:

1. Salaries, wages, tips and commissions.
2. Payments from annuities, pensions, Social Security, SSI, death benefits, insurance policies, and disability.
3. Business income.
4. Any interest and dividends.
5. Rental income earned minus any expenses.
6. Gifts.
7. Unemployment.
8. Alimony and child support received
9. TAFDC, EAEDC and any other cash assistance.

If your family is eligible, your local PHA office will either put you on a waiting list (in areas where there are a large number of applicants) or provide assistance immediately.

3. Is there a waiting list?
The demand for this program usually exceeds the government's limited funds. Therefore, there is usually a long waiting list. Most PHA offices will have preference for those families who are homeless or living in sub-standard housing. Local housing authorities will also provide preference for those involuntarily displaced or those paying more than 50% of their income in the form of monthly rent.

4. How much rent will I qualify for?
The housing assistance maximum is calculated by taking the lesser of the area's payment standard minus 30% of the family's monthly adjusted income or the gross rent for the unit minus 30% of monthly adjusted income.

5. What happens if I move and am already receiving Section 8 assistance?
The Section 8 housing voucher program is designed to allow families to move without losing their housing assistance. Those currently receiving assistance are allowed to move and maintain their assistance as long as they notify their local PHA office before moving, end their existing lease while maintaining the lease provisions, and are able to find acceptable housing.

A family moving to another PHA's jurisdiction must contact the current PHA office to verify the procedures for moving to another PHA's jurisdiction.

6. What are the landlords obligations?
Any landlord may accept Section 8 tenants simply by stating so. No formal contract or registration is needed with a PHA office to advertise the property as accepting Section 8 tenants. All that is needed to advertise the property as a Section 8 rental is the landlord's approval to do so.

After a Section 8 tenant is found, be sure to check that they have a current 'Request for Tenancy Approval' form in their packet. Also, the local PHA (Public Housing Authority) office must first approve your rental property as an eligible housing unit before a lease can be signed with your tenant. This can be done by contacting your local PHA office and providing them with some basic information about your rental property. Once the housing unit has been approved, the family receiving assistance and the landlord sign a lease for at least a year. At the same time the lease is signed, the landlord and the PHA sign a housing assistance payments contract that expires at the the same time as the lease.

After the first year the landlord may initiate a new lease or start a month-to-month lease.

The landlord's obligations is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to the tenant at a reasonable rent. The unit must pass the program's housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. Also, the landlord is to provide the services agreed to in the lease with the tenant and the contract signed with the PHA.

7. What are the tenants obligations?
After the PHA approves the housing unit selected by the tenant's family, a lease is signed with the landlord for at least one year. The tenant may be required to pay a deposit to the landlord. After the first year the landlord may start a new lease or allow the family to remain on a month-to-month basis.

When the family occupies the home, apartment or other form of housing, the family is expected to comply with the signed lease and the Section 8 program requirements. The tenant is also expected to pay their share of the rent on time, maintain the unit in good condition and notify the PHA of any changes in income or family size.

Section 8 Qualified Tenants
Section 8 rentals increase the choices for very low-income households by allowing these families to choose individually owned home rentals or apartments.

Families must first qualify for Section 8 housing. The public housing authority (PHA) usually pays the rental owner (landlord) the difference between 30% of the family's income and the PHA-determined payment standard, which is usually about 80% to 100% of the fair market rent. The rental amount must be a reasonable amount. However, the family may c

hoose a rental unit with a higher rent than the fair market rent and pay the landlord the difference or choose a lower cost unit and keep the remaining amount. Landlords
By accepting section 8 housing vouchers, your apartment or rental will be displayed in this section of our website. You will also increase the number of potential tenants.

To accept section 8 for your rental on, select "Section 8 Accepted" under the "Housing Assistance" option when listing your rental.